Renault Megan 2 is characterized by exceptional comfort and safety, but not reliability.
The Megan family expanded virtually every conceivable category, and in addition to the three-door and five-door sedans, a classic sedan, station wagon (the two models have longer wheelbase) was offered, and the CC had a hard folding roof. In the well-known Reno tradition, the Renault Megan 2 is offered with a wide choice of engines as well as a wide range of equipment packages.
Redesigned models are most easily recognized by the slightly changed mask, as well as by the new shape of the air vents on the bumper. On the back, the changes remained only in the shape of the taillights, while everything else remained the same. Although this redesign seems minimal, Renault has significantly improved with the modification of certain electronic systems and the change of certain plastic elements in the interior of the Megane. The best choice to buy is the model after the redesign.
Great engines, solid cabin and comfort, but fairly unreliable electronics so be sure to check ALL the controls. Brakes know that problems, ignition and throttle response are also known problems.
We can assume that the reliability of the Renault Megan 2 is back to normal with a redesigned version from January 2006. Before that, the record is unpleasant, both in the number of different failures and in the seriousness of the same.
So with Renault Megan 2 older than 2006, caution is needed.
COMFORT - Renault Megan 2
When it first appeared, the now-old Renault Megan 2 had caused public amazement at its unusual rear-end design, but it only took a couple of months to get used to and accept it as it is.
The design of the Renault Megan 2 is aggressive in advance, with sharp lines, a small front grille with a distinct Renault emblem. Finally, following the trend started with Avantheim and Vel Satis, the rear window is almost vertically mounted and the light group is pushed to the edges, and a large bumper dominates. The Renault Megan 2 looks out of the ordinary, different, but Renault's philosophy of not making faceless cars has succeeded, as the attractive and distinctive look sells the car. There is plenty of room in the front passenger compartment for both the legs and the head. The controls are at your fingertips, the cockpit is beautifully designed, the steering wheel is small in diameter and lies fantastically in your hand. The seats are outstanding, even in the back where there is not too much legroom, but even the competition offers no more. The quality of the material, starting with the plastic on the console and the door, through the touch-proof mattress is of excellent quality. In the hatchback version, the boot has an average size of 330 liters, and when the rear bench collapses the whole 1190 liters.
As it goes, comfort and sporty performance do not go together, so you can expect greater body tilts in curves when driving sharper. Renault The Megan 2 is available both as a sedan and as a hatchback, with the rear bench seats in the five-door variant not quite enough.
The rear bench of the Renault Megan 2 does not have too much legroom, and those senior drivers will gently touch the roof with their heads. What is commendable is a large and properly shaped trunk, so there is plenty of room for suitcases. If necessary, the rear bench folds nicely, so it is possible to carry a slightly higher load. The interior is cozy, the seats provide good support, and the ride itself is calm and cozy.
The Renault Megan 2 dashboard is transparent, but not the reading of digital messages in the center console that are barely recognizable in daylight.
After five years of use, the air conditioner is still efficient and usable, though a stereo radio is impractical if you try to adjust the parameters on the center console, especially while driving. The solution is the well-tailored buttons on the right behind the steering wheel that are very easy to use.
As you know, the Renault Megan 2 uses a very practical card to start the engine, and while pressing the button while holding the brake or coupler, it goes off unconditionally, a detail that is much more practical than most cars in the class that use the key.
Good corrosion protection for the body ensures the longevity of the Renault Megan 2.
ENGINE - Renault Megan 2
The emphasis here is on diesels, but we should also mention the gasoline variants.
Starting with the smallest 1.4 petrol with 98bhp, through the sleeker and more powerful 1.6 liter with 115bhp and the 2.0 liter sports car with 136bhp. Aggregates are happy to be resilient, consumption is not high, and performance is convincing even with the weakest four-cylinder, as with it the Renault Megan 2 reaches 183 km / h and accelerates from 0 to 100 km / h in an acceptable 12,5 seconds.
However, diesel variants are the most represented in our market. The Renault Megan 2 is fitted with two variants of 1.5 with 80 and 106 hp, as well as now famous 1.9 dCi to which we would also throw all our cards. Well known 1.9 dCi in two variants, with 120 hp and more powerful with 136 hp. The best choice in this case would be 2.0 dCi with a full 150 hp and a combined consumption of only 5 liters of euro diesel.
The Renault Megan 2 1.5 dCi engine consumes 4,6 liters of euro diesel, achieves 170 km / h, and accelerates to 14,3 in 1195 seconds, with a body weight of XNUMX kg. Although the engine is small in volume, it runs smoothly, only when starting the engine can you detect its diesel origin. Under normal driving conditions, it lacks power, the engine is extremely supple but not sporty.
The gearbox is extremely precise, in any engine mode it simply slides, the transmission ratios are perfectly calculated, so it's a pleasure to handle it.
Engine palette - click
The steering is precise, direct, though it conveys slightly more pavement vibration than the competition.
Suspension is also high, it is comfortable, does not transmit a lot of vibration and tolerates rough bumps, nevertheless the Renault Megan 2 lies well in sharp curves and the Renault Megan 2 is easily controlled in every situation. Ideal car for longer journeys, because after long journeys you stay fresh enough.
FAULTS - Renault Megan 2
Reno is not one of the most reliable carmakers and so is the megane. The biggest problem is electricity, which is why we have various problems with window lifts, wipers, flashers, and with Renault Megan 2 with a door unlocking card and starting the engine are possible and complete cancellations of this, not cheap part.
Another problem is that the failures are not typical, so be prepared to leave your pet in the service for longer than you would like.
Also note some creaks in the cabin, although they are not common, but plastic does occasionally loosen in some places.
The brakes know how to squeal, which is generally very easy to handle.
The most common gasoline is the 1.6 16V with 115 hp which has the most common problems of bobbin and engine electronics.
As a diesel engine is recommended, we warn you to pay attention to the turbine, as it is not uncommon to have a turbine failure. Note also the intercooler. Diesel engine mounts make noise and are not long lasting. With 1.5 dCi diesel engines, engine mounts may be a problem after driving more miles. Most often it is a hydraulic carrier and an engine mount located between the engine and the transmission, the mount to the left of the transmission is more durable.
The most popular engines are diesel engineers 1.5 dCi i 1.9 dCi, due to poor fuel quality, a weaker engine may have a nozzle problem than an engine of 1.9 dCi.
1.5 dCi of 86/82 hp (and 70/65 hp on the Clio) have Delphi injection and electronics, and there is a known problem with the Delphi pump which, due to poor material quality, after a certain mileage, peels and chips end in nozzles and clog them, the problem was solved by switching to a third-party injection system.
Diesel injector failures are most often due to poor fuel, a code injection system 1.9 dCi is more durable than at 1.5 dCi, but at 1,5 dCi the consumption is lower.
With diesel, it is recommended to clean the pipes and egr every 50000 km, the symptoms of a clogged EGR valve are that the car chokes at speeds over 2000 km, less traction, more smoke (black cats fall out of the exhaust), more fuel consumption and finally the light "Faucet" in the corner, yellow (engine) lit. This means that part of the deposit from the pipe has fallen off and blocked the operation of the EGR valve, then usually the car is not able to work normally or does not work at all or works much weaker, as when, depending on where the valve remained closed or open.
The clutch alternator pulley more often fails 1.5 dCi than the 1.9 dCi diesel.
It is recommended to replace the crankshaft pulley for large service at 60 km with diesel, as it fails.
Engine washing should be avoided, primarily because of the humidity sensitive relay box and fuses.
The Renault Megan 2, manufactured by April 20, 2004, has been called for after-sales service to replace the front brake rubber hoses, which could otherwise be located too close to the wheels.
The problem with the air conditioning compressor due to the incorrect functioning of the connector, had a Renault Megane manufactured in 2008, which was resolved within the warranty period.
For the front track, the problem is the ends of the steering rack due to the appearance of a gap, the front wheel bearings.
Pay attention - Renault Megan 2:
- Control system status
- from electronics, check the window regulators, tire pressure gauges and, most expensively, the correctness of the key card, which is the biggest pain.
- uneven wear of rear tires
- check the ignition and the response of the machine to the accelerator pedal
Take a look at the most common problems that occur with Renault Megan 2:
- turbine. On the 1.9 dCi 120 bhp by the end of 2003, a weak turbine can cause turbine breakage, high engine oil consumption, and often engine failure. This is less common than on Laguna 2, this deficiency is still present on Megan 2.
- lower trap. By the end of 2004, mismatched geometry on the rear axle caused accelerated tire wear, especially in the 17-inch and Continental brand sizes. The remedy is a non-adjustable shaft replacement.
- Heaters. At dCi until 2003, weak heaters, which need to be replaced before 80000 km, sometimes less.
- The petrol engine will not start. On gasoline engines until mid-2003, they sometimes do not start. Replace TDC sensor, crankshaft sensor, and / or spark plug.
Problems and recalls - Renault Megan 2
The second-generation Renault Megane has been recalled six times in the past five and a half years.
- Renault is November 30.11.2004, 300. first recalled Megane. On 2004 recalled Meganea RSs, the problem was pronounced on brake oil wires that were too close to the front discs. In some cases, the joints between the brake hoses may be damaged due to contact with the disc, causing the brake oil to leak and the brake system to weaken. On the recalled models, the brake hoses were partially replaced and the damage was repaired. The recall is registered under code R / 205/XNUMX.
- The largest recall of the second-generation Megane and Scenic Renault made in the sixth month of 2006. On 57.995 recalled specimens, the problem was manifested by the loss of brake force, which was caused by the lack of a stop which prevented the brake pedal from being over-pressed. On models that lacked such a stop, it was retrofitted. The recall is registered under code R / 2006/078.
- Renault also recalled the 173 Megane Coupe in the tenth month of 2010. The front seats could not be adequately positioned because the seat adjusting mechanism was damaged. In addition, the problem appeared on the metal structure of the seat, which was not sufficiently connected to the rest of the structure. On the recalled specimens, Renault replaced all damaged elements and registered the recall under number R / 2006/178.
- In the tenth month of 2006, 217 Third Generation Clys and Second Generation Meganes were revoked. The problem was expressed on an automatic transmission, which switched from automatic to manual mode without the intention of the driver. Also, the instrument panel often wrote the wrong position of the gearbox, while in some cases the gearbox unnecessarily selected the third gear. On the recalled specimens, the computer that operates the automatic transmission was replaced, and the recall was registered with the mark R / 2006/176.
- At 5.354 Scenic and Megane second-generation Sedans manufactured from the eighth month of 2003 to the tenth month of 2003, the problem was pronounced in the front seats, which could not be adequately positioned. The same problem was expressed on the coupe, and Renault solved the problem by replacing the damaged elements. The recall is registered under number R / 2006/177.
- Renault last recalled Megane in the second month of 2008. On the 545 copies of the Megane RS, Isofix child seat supports were not installed, which made it impossible to fit the Isofix seat, nor to place a practical net in the trunk. The recall is registered under number R / 2007/188.
Used Renault Megan prices - review
Renault Megane is practically a legendary car of our roads. Great engines, solid cabin and comfort, but rather unreliable electronics, so be sure to check all possible switches, trip computer function, operation of the vehicle unlock card, but also the condition of the engine electronics. Unfortunately, Renault still has no real cure for its, to put it mildly, "naughty" electronics.
So the Renault Megan 2 is a premium product, there is noticeable progress in terms of quality, and the price is competitive, especially when considering equipment that is richer than the more expensive VW Golf 5. Whatever engine you choose will not go wrong, the only question is that or choose a limousine. wagon or hatchback version. The caravan is for those with a lot of luggage because it swallows from 520 liters to 1600 liters when all seats are down. The sedan offers elegance, a large trunk and a bit of flirtation with the upper class, and by many criteria it is on par with much more expensive sedans.
|engines||Volume||Engine code||Power||Max. speed||Acceleration from 0 to 100 km / h s|
|1.4 16v 80||1,390 cc||K4J||81 HP / 60 kW||170 km / h||13.5|
|1.4 16v 98||1,390 cc||K4J||98 HP / 72 kW||183 km / h||12.5|
|1.6 16v||1,598 cc||K4M||117 HP / 86 kW||196 km / h||10.8|
|2.0 16v||1,998 cc||F4R||136 HP / 100 kW||205 km / h||9.6|
|2.0 16v Turbo||1,998 cc||F4RT||165 HP / 121 kW||220 km / h||8.3|
|2.0 16v Turbo RenaultSport||1,998 cc||F4RT||225 HP / 165 kW||236 km / h||6.5|
|1.5 8v dCi 80||1,461 cc||K9K||80 HP / 59 kW||170 km / h||14.3|
|1.5 8v dCi 86||1,461 cc||K9K||86 HP / 63 kW||174 km / h||12.7|
|1.5 8v dCi 100||1,461 cc||K9K||100 HP / 74 kW||181 km / h||12.8|
|1.5 8v dCi 106||1,461 cc||K9K||106 HP / 78 kW||185 km / h||11.1|
|1.9 8v dCi 120||1,870 cc||F9Q||120 HP / 88 kW||196 km / h||10.5|
|1.9 8v dCi 130||1,870 cc||F9Q||130 HP / 96 kW||200 km / h||9.0|
|2.0 16v dCi 150||1,995 cc||M9R||150 HP / 110 kW||210 km / h||8.7|
|2.0 16v dCi RenaultSport||1,995 cc||M9R||175 HP / 129 kW||221 km / h||8.5|
Recommendation of similar texts:
Hi there, I am Mladen and I am an auto enthusiast. I started this blog years ago to help like minded people share information about latest cars, car servicing ideas, used car info, exotic cars, and auto technology. You will find helpful articles and videos on a wide variety of cars - Audi, Mercedes, Toyota, Porsche, Volvo, BMW and much more. Ping us if you have anything cool to share on latest cars or on how to make older cars more efficient, or just want to say hi!