Year of production: 2008 - 2015
Predecessor: Audi A4
Successor: Audi A4
Class: Middle class
Competitors: BMW 3 Series, Mercedes-Benz C Class , Ford Mondeo, Volvo S60,
Models: Sedan, Wagon, Elevated wagon
Euro NCAP is: ★★★★★ (2009)
Unlike its predecessor B7, the Audi A4 B8 introduced in 2007 is a new design. A much longer body (wheelbase has changed the most, by almost 15 cm due to the new floorboard), the design initially resembled the previous generation, but after the 2011 restyling, it is stylistically closer to the successor.
Thanks to the changes, the new A4 has become much more spacious. Still, in that respect, it is far from the cheaper brands, such as Ford Mondeo, Mazda 6 or Toyota Avensis. Instead, a concept that has been in place since the first generation, that is, has been adopted. longitudinally mounted motors driving the front axle or four wheels thanks to Quattro drive.
The external dimensions of the model are 4701 mm long, 1427 mm high and 1826 mm wide (taking into account the side mirrors - 2040 mm). The wheelbase of the German model is 2808 mm, and the height from the ground is 135 mm.
+ Large selection of engines
+ Keeping on track
+ Sound is leaking
+ Interior quality
- Poor equipment of the basic version
- Unreliability of Multitronic transmission
Audi A4 B8 - engines
Audi A4 B8
Popular Audi A4 B8 petrol engines: 1.8 TFSI (120, 160, 170 HP) 2.0 TFSI (180, 211, 225 HP) 3.0 TFSI (272 HP, 333 HP) 3.2 FSI (256 HP)
Popular Audi A4 B8 Diesel Engines: 2.0 TDI (120, 136, 143, 150, 163, 170, 177, 190 HP) 2.7 TDI (190 HP) 3.0 TDI (204, 240, 245 HP)
Sport versions: S4 3.0 TFSI (333 hp), RS4 4.2 FSI (450 hp)
The initial petrol engine has a displacement of 1,8 liters and has turbochargers with direct fuel injection. Depending on the gain levels, it generates 120 horsepower and 230 Nm of torque, or 170 "horsepower", or 320 Nm. The engine is combined with a 6-speed "manual" or multitronic transmission. In addition to the more powerful unit, a quattro all-wheel drive system is also installed. The 120-horsepower sedan accelerates to the top 10,5 in 200 seconds, and its capabilities are limited to around 100 km / h. On average, it needs 6,2-6,5 liters of fuel per 4 kilometers of driving in the combined cycle. The Audi A170 with a 100-horsepower engine reaches 7,9 km / h in 8,3-225 seconds, reaching a maximum of 230-5,7 km / h and consuming 6,2-XNUMX liters of fuel, depending on the version.
This is followed by a 2,0-liter "turbo four" with a capacity of 225 horsepower, which develops 350 Nm. The acceleration of such a car from 0 to 100 km / h varies from 6,4 to 6,9 seconds, and the "maximum speed" is limited to electronics at about 250 km / h. The appetite of this "A4" is quite moderate - in the combined cycle it "eats" from 5,8 to 6,7 liters of gasoline.
The main one is the 3.0-liter V6, which produces 272 horsepower and 400 lb-ft of torque. It relies solely on the 7-speed S tronic transmission and quattro all-wheel drive. Such an Audi A4 can reach 100 km / h in 5,4 seconds and its top speed is 250 km / h. This powerful car consumes 8,1 liters of fuel in a combined cycle.
2.0 TDI engines are popular in the European market, they had high pressure pump failures. There are also problems with the nozzles, which ended up in rather expensive repairs. Most of the cars before the restoration had repairs of preventive cleaning of the entire fuel system. However, after the purchase, it is worth cleaning this system. Two diesels are considered to be completely flawless: 150 horsepower produced since 2013 and 190 horsepower since 2014. The latest is the new EA288 engine type - the earlier is the EA189.
"Younger" is a 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo engine with 150 horsepower and 320 Nm. Impressive dynamic and speed characteristics should not be expected from this engine - a 150-horsepower car accelerates from 0 to 100 km / h in 9,1 seconds and has a top speed of 210 km / h. The main advantage of a diesel engine is its fuel economy. Such an Audi A4 consumes only 4,8 liters of fuel per 100 kilometers.
The role of the "middle" is performed by a four-cylinder turbo engine with direct fuel injection. Power of 177 hp, max. torque is at about 380 Nm. Such a limousine reaches 100 km / h in 7,9 seconds, and its maximum speed is 222 km / h. Performance is not bad, as well as diesel fuel consumption - only 4,8 liters per 100 kilometers.
"Senior" - the 3.0-liter turbo diesel with six cylinders in the shape of the letter V. Its power is 245 "horsepower" and maximum torque is 500 Nm. It works in combination with a 7-speed S tronic transmission and quattro all-wheel drive. This amount of horsepower provides excellent dynamics - 5,9 seconds from 0 to 100 km / h, as well as a speed of 250 km / h. At the same time, fuel consumption will obviously not ruin the owner - a unit of 245 horsepower is satisfied with only 5,7 liters of fuel.
The 2.7 TDI and 3.0 TDI are commendable, but here you have to be aware of the high cost. Usually on fairly large mileages, of the order of 300 km, they go there without any problems, while repairs of worn-out units can cost more than cars. The distribution system of these engines is very expensive, and the nozzles are not cheap either.
Customers rarely chose larger gasoline engines. They are solid construction, whether they are turbo 3.0 TFSI or atmospheric 3.2 FSI. The latter, with 265 hp, is basically the only reliable petrol engine that can be purchased until 2011.
Most A4 (B8) are four-liter 2,0-liter, although there were V6 engines - both petrol and diesel. In principle, all engines have been improved and perfected since 2011. Those before the restoration can be called high-risk versions. This is especially true for the 1.8 TFSI, although the first years of oil consumption problems are usually after repair. 2.0 TFSI is not much better in this regard. The timing mechanism is the critical point of the four cylinders.
Review of faults and failures - Audi A4 B8
- The initial series of petrol 1.8 and 2.0 TSI and TFSI engines face heavy oil consumption, which is often the result of the wear of cylinders and piston rings. The replacement solved the problems in principle.
- Vehicles equipped with 2.0 TDI diesel engines and manual transmissions face floating flywheel failure and intensive clutch wear.
- The 2.0 kW Diesel 105 TDI often has problems with its turbocharger.
- Petrols TFSI and diesel TDI engines have problems with damage and wedges in the intake manifold.
- The multitronic transmission faces frequent problems with the electronics and mechanics of the transmission, so it is not recommended to buy a vehicle with such a transmission.
- All models with diesel engines 2.7D TDI CR - Bad cold start. Startup error. Possible stored error codes: P161A, P161B, P161C, P161D, P161E, P161F, P161G, P161H. The cause is faulty heaters. If error code (s) are present, install new heaters.
- The chain tensioners are damaged on the 1.8 TFSI engines. The chain loosens and starts making noise (buzzing, rattling). Failure to replace it in time may cause the chain to skip causing the pistons to collide with the valves. And that means serious engine damage and expensive repair.
Other errors and shortcomings
- Diesel 3.0 TDI Radiator Coolant Leak on EGR Valve.
- Short wheel bearing life.
- Common problems with coolant leakage from the water pump on all engine versions.
- All models with petrol engines 3.2 FSI - Unusual noise from the engine coolant pump space at idle. The cause is air in the cooling system. Bleed the cooling system several times. Start the engine. If noise is still present: Replace the engine cooling system pump.
- The 3,2 V6 FSI engine has problems with the ignition system, the bobbins are often damaged, which is why Audi had a service action.
- In some cases, owners reported water leaks through the firewall in the passenger's leg area, due to poor closure of passageways required for installations. In some cases, water floods the motor electronics, leading to costly repairs.
- Wearing a delicate coating layer of plastic interior parts.
- Rapid wear of leather upholstery in exposed areas.
- Defects in locks and barrier closing mechanisms.
- A number of problems with improper operation of the electric parking brake switch, problems with window lifters, parking sensors, electric trunk opening, window heating and central locking. The problem is a bug in the multifunction module program that is usually solved by reprogramming.
- Air conditioning failures in initial models are often the result of a failure of the temperature sensor and / or pressure sensor.
- More Ballast Xenon Headlight Errors.
- Dizel 2.7 TDI engine frequent problems with engine heaters.
- In some cases, battery self-discharge occurs which is a program problem and the solution is reprogramming.
- For frequent problems with opening the fuel filler flap, it can be locked that the fuel filler flap is due to a malfunction of the selenoid switch.
- Automatic tailgate closing does not work. The fault codes related to the electrically back door are stored in the fault memory. Multifunction control module software error. Perform component, electronics, and mechanics tests (as appropriate) to eliminate other possible causes. If no error is found: Re-program the multifunction control module with the upgraded software.
- Heated rear window does not work. Multifunction Control Module Software Error. Perform component, electronics, and mechanics tests (as appropriate) to eliminate other possible causes. If no error is found: Re-program the multifunction control module with the upgraded software.
- All models with keyless entry - Occasional automatic alarm activation of the alarm system siren. Error codes related to the keyless entry system sensor are stored in the error memory. Error codes related to the alarm system are stored in the error memory. The cause is a faulty keyless entry sensor (s). Perform tests on components, electronics and mechanics (as needed) to eliminate other possible causes. If no error is found: Install the modified door sensors with the keyless entry system.
- All models with parking assist control, 2003 → - Parking assist warning devices are activated without interference. The cause is an unfurnished parking assistance provider (s). Parking Assist (s) Contaminated by Corrosion or Dirt. Improperly installed front license plate bracket. The solution is to check the error codes. Repair if necessary. Check for damaged, contaminated, or improperly installed parking assist encoders. Replace / repair parts as needed. Check that the front license plate bracket is installed correctly.
Recalls - Audi A4 B8
10.01.2014/XNUMX/XNUMX - Cancellation due to braking system problems.
12.05.2014/XNUMX/XNUMX - Airbag system error cancellation.
04.20.2015 - Cancellation for possible fuel leakage in 3.0 TFSI petrol versions.
Engines - Audi A4 B8
- Gasoline engines
|Number of valves||Max. power
|Regular 4-cylinder engines|
|1.8 TFSI||1798||16||88 (120) / 3650-6200||230 / 1500-3650||-||of 2008.|
|1.8 TFSI||1798||16||118 (160) / 4500-6200||250 / 1500-4500||also available with quattro drive||of 2007.|
|2.0 TFSI||1984||16||132 (180) / 4000-6000||320 / 1500-3900||-||of 2008.|
|2.0 TFSI||1984||16||155 (211) / 4300-6000||350 / 1500-4200||also available with quattro drive||of 2008.|
|3.2 FSI||3197||24||195 (265) / 6500||330 / 3000-5000||also available with quattro drive||from 2007|
|S4 (FSI)||2995||24||245 (333) / 5500-7000||440 / 2900-5300||only available with quattro drive; with a compressor||of 2009.|
- Diezel engines
|Number of valves||Max. power
|Regular 4-cylinder engines|
|2.0 TDI||1968||16||88 (120) / 4200||290 / 1750-2500||-||of 2008.|
|2.0 TDI e||1968||16||100 (136) / 4200||320 / 1750-2500||-||of 2009.|
|2.0 TDI||1968||16||105 (143) / 4200||320 / 1750-2500||also available with quattro drive||of 2007.|
|2.0 TDI||1968||16||125 (170) / 4200||350 / 1750-2500||also available with quattro drive||of 2008.|
|2.7 TDI||2698||24||140 (190) / 3500-4000||400 / 1400-3250||-||of 2007.|
|3.0 TDI||2967||24||176 (240) / 4000-4400||500 / 1500-3000||only available with quattro drive||of 2007.|
Recommendation of similar texts:
Hi there, I am Mladen and I am an auto enthusiast. I started this blog years ago to help like minded people share information about latest cars, car servicing ideas, used car info, exotic cars, and auto technology. You will find helpful articles and videos on a wide variety of cars - Audi, Mercedes, Toyota, Porsche, Volvo, BMW and much more. Ping us if you have anything cool to share on latest cars or on how to make older cars more efficient, or just want to say hi!